Having fever. Took medication. Hands and foot feeling cold. What to do?

Feb 2013

hi my baby girl 7 month old 8.75 kg was having fever and we took medication for that. but now she is hacing her hands and foot really cold and head at higher temperature than normal. . ls suggest if any problem...should we go and visit doctor again
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 45 minutes later

Thank you for your query on healthcare Magic.

Cold peripheries like hands and feet are suggestive of poor or decreased circulation of the blood to limbs which is seen in infants with infections.

But some times due to autonomic system disturbances associated with fever and infection will causes the temperature changes in children.

If the core parts of body like trunk, head are hot and peripheries like hands and feet are cold, it is suggestive of shock which is caused by infection process and requires immediate medical attention.

Maintain the hydration status of the child by giving frequent breast feeds, oral fluids and look for adequate urine output.

Wrap him in clothing in a way to make him warm and to take breathing in a comfortable way.

And consult your pediatrician again as early as possible for the examination of child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.