Having feminine voice problem from 10 years. Is there any solution? What surgery should be done?

ENT Specialist
I am having problem with my voice. My voice sounds more like feminine voice and the tone of my voice is very low. I am having this problem from past 10 years.
Is there any solution out there that will make my voice more masculine and high tone?
If surgery is required what would be the cost and effectiveness?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The condition that you have is known as Puberphonia. A feminine voice persists in a male after adolescence.

2. Most cases have no specific cause. Hypogonadism must be ruled out by an andologist or endocrinologist. Some of the causes for persistent puberphonia are emotional stress, psychogenic reasons, delayed development of secondary sexual characters and non-fusion of thyroid laminae.

3. Speech Therapy is the first option.

4. If speech therapy is not effective, an Issiki Type III Thyroplasty (Laryngeal Framework Surgery) which reduced the length of the vocal cored (and relaxes them) is done.

5. The cost will vary from hospital to hospital and depends upon the type of ward / room chosen by you. In a fully private setup you may have to pay close to a Rs. 1 lakh. The surgery is usually successful and effective.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Having feminine voice problem from 10 years. Is there any solution? What surgery should be done? 30 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX for your valuable reply.

I am staying in bangalore and i decided to start with speech therapy. Can you suggest me good speech therapist to consult.

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 40 hours later

Thank you for your query.

One of my chief audiologists (Mr. XXXXXXX Dubey) has recommended the Stammering Clinic 0000 JP Nagar Samvad Speech Clinic 0000 Hebbal Bangalore.

Wishing you good health,