Having fatty liver disease. Overweight. Suggest suitable way to reduce weight?

My alt is 65, does this mean I have fatty get diease? I am 60 pounds overweight and just started dr Bernstein diet, if I lose weight quickly 3-4 lbs a week, is that ok? Do artificial sweeteners make alt worse?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be fatty liver disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Increase in ALT may be because of fatty liver especially when you are overweight.For this you have to do regular exercise at least 30 minutes /day and have to take low fat and low caloric diet. Get liver function tests and lipid profile also,to see for inflammation in liver cells. If they are deranged they have to be treated accordingly.

However you still need to investigate for other causes for elevation of transaminase levels like:
1. Alcohol if you are taking then please avoid it
2. If you are obese or overweight you need to reduce your weight
3.Other common and treatable causes like Hepatitis B and C virus, Serum ceruloplasmin for XXXXXXX disease, XXXXXXX and SMA for autoimmune disease
4. Ultrasound abdomen to see for liver echotexture

Loosing weight of 3-4 lbs per week is ok

No artificial sweentners do not make Alt worse

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon
Follow-up: Having fatty liver disease. Overweight. Suggest suitable way to reduce weight? 22 hours later
Thank you for information. I do not drink alcohol, never have and have good cholesterol, blood sugar levels & blood pressure so I am surprised to have this problem simply because Im overweight. How long should I expect before blood tests show decreasing alt since I am losing weight? I have lost ten pounds already. I have 4 children who need me and I want to be the healthiest I can be. I also bruise quite easily and always get a bruise when I get needles, is this related to liver function? I also read that green tea might be bad for fatty liver diease, is that true? I have 1 or 2 cups a day for antioxidant purposes.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I appreciate your concern regarding your health

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Sorry for delay. I appreciate your concern

It will take at least three months to normalize, so get repeat ALT after 3 months. Also take tablet ursodeoxycholic acid and vitamin E, as they also help in liver function tests, you may clear that by getting Prothrombin time which depends on liver synthetic function

No it's totally opposite as green tea is helpful in all liver disease including fatty liver

Hope this will help you and get well soon. Bye

Follow-up: Having fatty liver disease. Overweight. Suggest suitable way to reduce weight? 18 hours later
Much appreciated. How much vitamin E do you recommend daily? Does it matter what time of day or if it is taken with food?

I lost 9 pounds my first week, 62 pounds more to lose. I want to say goodbye to a fatty liver forever. Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin E 400mg once a day

Detailed Answer:

Vitamin E is to be taken 400mg once a day. It can be taken any time of day , ideally should be taken 2 hours before or after meals

You will be able to loose that much of weight I am sure you will be from fatty liver