Having fatty liver Grade III with SGPT up to 66. What should be the further course of action?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello Doctor. I have a fatty liver problem for the past 4 years now. For the last one year it has become Grade III level. The liver is enlarged and the Doctor said that I need not worry much as I take red/white wine rarely. I was prescribed Udiliv 300 mg twice a day and Librax. I have been having Udiliv for the past 3 years and Librax for the past one year now. I also have the problem of infective colitis and initially I was prescribed O2 and now whenever the stools become loose and if I feel feverish or a bad bowel, he prescribes me antibiotics for a week and I get better. I have been taking Losacar H and Amlodac 5mg for my High BP for the last 11 years now. I also had high cholesterol and have been taking Stator 10mg for the 7 years now. I eat non vegetarian, primarily fish followed by chicken and occasionally red meat. I also occasionally drink a glass or two of red wine or white wine. I do not do regular exercise due to travel and late night working. All this while my tst always showed that everything is under normal levels and my BP is always under control. I had a skin problem on my right foot (near my heel) for a long time and recently the itiching was severe hence I met a skin specialist and he did a biopsy of that part and the report showed as psoriasis. The Doctor had asked me to test CBC, SGPT & SGOT before starting my treatment and at that time all were at normal levels. I was prescribed Methotexrate, once a week, initially 5mg, then 10 mg and later increased to 15 mg. I am taking this medicine for the past 12 weeks now. Three days back I did my LFT and found that the SGPT has gone up to 66. SGOT is within normal levels and all other readings are also under normal levels. One of my known Doctor said that Methotexrate is immunosuppresent drug and this could be cause of elevated SGPT levels. Since I have fatty liver Grade III and now the SGPT also going up to 66. I need your advise on how to about with this status. what should be my further course of action? Should I continue this treatment? and how can I control my fatty liver condition and bring SGPT to normal levels?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Meticulous diet, exercise and medications can cure Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. I understand the complexity of your medical issues at this age. You need not worry. Your main issue is the liver which you should be taking care of. If untreated that can be disastrous. I would suggest the following medications and other general measures to bring the condition under control. 1. Stop tablet udiliv. It is useless and will not help in any way. 2. Start tablet HEPA MERZ in the dose of one tablet three times a day after meals day .(for 6 weeks) 3. Start a medication called sorbiline which contains tricholine citrate and sorbitol. Dosage; 2tablespoons of this medication in a glass of warm water in the morning on empty stomach once a day only .(for 6 months) 4. dietary modifications by a medical dietician,(high protein low fat and low carbohydrate diet) 5. Regular exercise comprising of a brisk walk for 45 minutes once a day. 6. Repeat liver enzymes that is sgot & sgpt every 6 weeks. 7. Repeat USG of the upper abdomen after 6 months. 8. Taper and stop methotrexate as soon as the skin lesions go into remission. I am sure that the above measures will be helpful. Regards
Follow-up: Having fatty liver Grade III with SGPT up to 66. What should be the further course of action? 2 days later
Dear Doctor Thanks for your guidance. I have few more queries, Please help me. 1. Is the fatty liver due to medication or due to intake of atorvastatin? 2. Can I have very occasionally a glass of redwine or whitewine? I am in sales & marketing field and occasionally I may have to give company for few of my clients. 3. Will Hepa Merz help to reduce fat in Liver or for what is this medicine taken? 4. Can I take chicken and fish in my diet? 5. Should I stop taking Librax and how does this medication help? 6. Does Methotrexate affect the Liver? I will certainly start my exercise and also meet a dietician to chart my diet. Thank you. Regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Answers to your doubts Detailed Answer: Hi, I will answer all your questions sequentially. 1. Yes fatty liver can usually be caused by medicines. Statin medications do cause sever alteration in liver function thereby giving rise to a increase in liver enzymes. 2. Ideally no till your liver enzymes come to normal. But an occasional glass is fine. 3. Yes . Hepamerz contains ornithine which helps in regularizing liver function and reducing the abnormal fat metabolism. 4. Protein intake is in fact advisable for patients with fatty liver. IN boiled or bland form it will yield therapeutic benefit. 5. No. This medication is not necessary at all. 6. Yes methotrexate is a toxic drug. Stop it as soon as the psoriasis issue is controlled. I hope that answers all your doubts. Regards