Having fatigue, depression, muscle aches, IBS, bloated and fever. Had unprotected sex. Hepatitis C?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am wondering if I should get tested for Hep C. I am a 57 year old female and was an IV drug user (40) years ago, have had unprotected sex and have been fatiqued, depression, muscle aches, IBS, gastris, itching, bloated and fever on and off for the last 4 years. At my wits end as no one seems to know exactly whats wrong (except IBS, gastris). I know I'm not feeling well but I am starting to feel like I'm not being taken seriously. I had gall bladder removed 4 years ago. I don't want to have one more test done and feel like I'm crazy.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 44 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

You have had high risk factors like IV drug abuse and unprotected sex which may warrant a test be done for certain diseases like hepatitis B, C and HIV.

But the symptoms you have mentioned do not necessarily mean you have any of these diseases.
You can have a complete blood count, an ultrasound scan of the abdomen and a upper GI endoscopy be done as first step in the evaluation of your symptoms.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Having fatigue, depression, muscle aches, IBS, bloated and fever. Had unprotected sex. Hepatitis C? 52 minutes later
I have just had an upper GI, ultrasound, which showed liver is fine, have scarred kidney, along with regular blood tests. Is there a specific blood test for Hep C? also forgot to mention that my vit. D was extremely low and had 12 week course of 50,000 unit of vit D once a week. Now taking daily D3 sups.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 57 minutes later
You have to look for Hep C antibodies.
If it is positive you have to get tests done for Hep C genotype and Hep C RNA levels.
Continue taking vitamin D supplements.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini