Having fasting sugar 150 and pp 240. Tooth removed. Developed gastritis. Having aversion to drugs. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I am having fasting SUgar at 150 and PP at around 240 - can I go ahead with a tooth extraction - I have around 4 tooth to be removed - also I have quick tendency to develop gastritis for ANTIBIOTICS
I have Phobia towarde Hypoglycemia and hence have aversion towards anti diabetic drugs and hence trying to manage with excercise and diet but could not sustain excercise levels - please advise me right approach
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is "NO" to any procedure in uncontrolled Diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good morning.I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

To start with , I would not hesitate to say that possibly you are neglecting your own health by not controlling your blood sugar level due to your uncalled for excessive phobia for hypoglycaemia. No doubt one should be watchful for the symptoms of hypoglycaemia, but should not neglect the high sugar levels in his blood, which may affect each and every organ in the body in a harmful way, and the patient will not know how and when the organs are affected till the deleterious effects manifest which may be quite late for their reversal with treatment excepting for preventing further progression.

Therefore, I would suggest you to get yourself clinically examined and thoroughly investigated by your family physician / medicine specialist and continue with the anti diabetic treatment advised by him to control your blood sugar in the range judged proper by your physician without causing hypoglycemia.

Exercises and life style modifications are good addition to the management of diabetes, but are not a substitute for the medicines if required by the high blood sugar levels, which appears to true in your case.

If I would have been your treating physician/Dentist, I would not advise in either case for you to go for an extraction until your blood sugar gets controlled and you are cleared as fit for undergoing this procedure.

I hope I have answered your question. Thanks for using the XXXXXXX portal for your health query. If you have any further questions , please feel free to ask. Good luck.
Follow-up: Having fasting sugar 150 and pp 240. Tooth removed. Developed gastritis. Having aversion to drugs. Suggest? 5 hours later
Is it advisable to follow an antibiotic treatment - dentist is suggesting novoclox 500 and aciloc 150 twice a day with Polybion capsule one per day - will this antibiotic cause gastrities and my diab doc is suggesting gP1 per day. please advise
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti infective drug with mild anti glycaemic agent

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! My regrets for the delay in replying.

Antibiotics are usually prescribed by the dental surgeon either to cure the pre-existing infection before extraction of tooth, or for preventing infection following tooth extraction. Novaclox which is a combination of two antibiotics, may cause gastro intestinal hurrying resulting in frequency of motion in some patients. It may also likewise cause acidity in some, but your doctor has already prescribed aciloc to prevent this side effect in case.

GP1 is one of modality of treating Diabetes, but the drug dosage may have to be adjusted depending on your sugar level. This drug is also less likely to cause hypoglycemia than other anti diabetic drugs. So your apprehension in this regard is also lessened.

Wishing you an early recovery and a good glycaemic control. Good luck.