Having fast heart beat and allergic to Percocet. Advised to take Methadone instead of Morphine. Is it safe?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My doctor wants to switch me from Morphine ER to Methadone even though I have a fast heartbeat and am allergic to Percocet. Is this safe? Is Methadone a safe drug to be on?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Methadone is not advisable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

It is recommended not to consume Methadone if you are allergic to any of the opiates, which includes Percocet (oxycodone), morphine, hydrocodone, Dextropropoxyphene etc.

Also, Methadone may cause severe Hypotension (which is not good for you, as you have already low blood pressure) including orthostatic hypotension and syncope in ambulatory patients.

Though it is infrequent, Methadone may cause increased heart rate which is not good for you (as you already have fast heart rate).

Methadone usage is associated with numerous side effects and adverse reactions and so I personally think that it is not a TOTALLY safe drug. Please find the link below which shows up the types of adverse reactions it may produce -
Lastly, I suggest you to approach your treating physician and discuss the issues.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further