Having family history of diabetes. Taking crestor for high cholestrol. Any necessity for taking tablets for sugar?

I have a strong familiar history of diabetes, mother, paternal grandmother, brother and
sister who is pre diabetic and insulin resistant. In the last year particularly my glucose
is in the 111, 112 range. I've only had two a1C, the first 6 months ago I believe was 5.7 and this month it was 6.1. Other than awareness and cutting back on sugars and carbs and smaller portions which I have been doing should I be concerned and follow up at this time with a specialist. I'm predicting again due to the strong history I'm on my way to developing diabetes and just as I have to take Crestor to control my hereditary predisposition for high cholesterol should I consider medication to keep my sugar in check. My husband a heart patient takes metformin as he was previously diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and has had bypass surgery.
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may consider the use of metformin

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There was a medical study performed in the US called the Diabetes prevention program.This study looked at persons at risk of becoming diabetics and how to delay the disease.
It divided persons into 3 groups (intense lifestyle changes, metformin, placebo pill or pretend medication)

The persons in the intense lifestyle changes group reduced the chance of full blown diabetes by 58%.
Those in the metformin group by 31%.

At this point , your HbA1c readings are in the prediabetic range- not full diabetes but heading there.

You can delay it with lifestyle changes and the use of metformin. This drug reduces the body's resistance to insulin and therefore allows it to work better.
Since the insulin works better, the pancreas does not need to work as hard to release as much insulin and therefore it does not burnout.

The lifestyle changes used in this program that held off diabetes were exercising at least 150 minutes a week and dietary changes.
Though that study reduced fat intake, it may be helpful to adjust carbohydrates since these are the ones that the blood sugars to go up.

At this point you do not need to see a specialist since it is mainly monitoring for the potential onset of diabetes and metformin can be prescribed by your GP.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Having family history of diabetes. Taking crestor for high cholestrol. Any necessity for taking tablets for sugar? 19 hours later
Thank you for the results of the study and for your detailed information. I will talk to my GP. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome, feel free to contact with any additional questions