Having eye and face swelling after something fell into the eyes. Flushes eyes with running water. Lips feel heat. What to do?

Something flew into my eye just now, took contact out, Eye and face feels like its burning on one side of my face. Feeling the heat now in my lips. I flushed my eye out with running water, little swallen- should i go to the emergency room?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It shall certainly be better if you can get your eyes examined at the emergency room. There are two aspects to this:
1. An allergic reaction which is causing your lips to be warmer.
2. Injury to the conjunctiva of the eye which can cause swelling. Fortunately you were wearing a contact lens which may have prevented injury to the cornea.

You have done the right thing by washing your eyes and face.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal