Having extremely painful elbow, cough and X-ray showing possible sepsis. Exhausted and taking panadol. Is this the cause for concern?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband had an extremely painful elbow last weekend, the physio sent him for an xray to check which showed only fluid possible sepsis, he then developed a chesty cough which the doctor said was boarderline pnemonia and put him on a cause of antibiotics as if it was pnemonia, that was Wednesday, chest xray was clear however the cough has eased but his hot cold sweats are continuing, unwell stomach persisting and he is exhausted all the time and headache unless he takes panadol , for example he walk to the end of the drive and had to laydown for 30 minutes. He has no rash
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms may be due to viral infection

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that your husband is having are likely to be due to a generalized viral infection or a general weakness after an attack of pneumonia.
These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that he supports his body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition he can supplement the diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect his symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two with the help of mild pain killers that he is already taking. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.