Having extremely heavy periods with large clots and severe cramps. Should I be worried?

i have been having extremely heavy periods with large clots and severe cramps, for the past several years now. with my 2nd and last child i had a tubaligation. recently i have also been spotting after sex, but no pain. went to the dr. today for my anual exam and explained this problem, looks like i will be having a hysterectomy. my question to you is, he kinda freaked my out alittle because i forgot to tell him about the spotting after sex, he tells me had i told him that before my pap he would have tested me for clymidia or gonorhea!!!! i have been married for 10 yrs now and went completely blank when those words came out of his mouth, my last pap was normal. should i be worried or is there other reasons this could happen?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Mild spotting after intercourse is not normal.
There are many causes of slight bleeding after sexual intercourse apart from the STDs and the commonest are:-

- Cervical dysplasia.
- Vaginitis.
- Cervicitis.
- Cervical polyp.
- Endometritis.
You can get yourself examined once again from your gynecologist so that the cause can be detected.

There is nothing to get alarmed, but please do not ignore if this happens again or the bleeding continues.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.