Having extreme vaginal discharge. Yellowish and smelly. Medication?

Mar 2016

I am having extreme vaginal discharge. Yellowish and smelly.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

According to your information, I can assume that you are currently suffering from bacterial infection. Most common cause is bacterial vaginosis (BV) or trichomoniasis which are associated with bad smell and grey to yellowish discharge. To confirm the diagnosis, you need to undergo one vaginal swab test.

Here, you need to eliminate certain predisposing factors like diabetes, use of Cu-T or OCP, improper genital hygiene, insertion of foreign object, cervicitis or vaginitis, STD or recent change of sexual partner etc.

TREATMENT: Metronidazole is the drug of choice to treat this type of problem. In mixed vaginal infection, AFS kit (combination of Azithromycin, Fluconazole and Secnidazole) is quite effective. Vaginal suppository can be given at bed time. Your partner also needs same treatment to prevent future recurrence. Kindly, consult with your treating doctor and procure a complete prescription.

Some Preventive measures are as follows:

- Take balanced diet with anti oxidant (like Vitamin-E/ C, selenium, zinc etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
- Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.
- Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving and cleaning. Control body weight by regular exercise.
- Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.
- Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms. Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 2 weeks.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen