Having extreme itching and burning after surgical abortion. Safe to use vaginal cream?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Good
Question
hi,
i had a surgical abortion two weeks ago. i was given antibiotics for a week afterward.
now i am having extreme itching and burning. i went to a clinic and they were pretty sure it was a yeast infection. that's what it feels like. the doctor prescribed a vaginal cream.

is this safe to take right after an abortion? also, since my cervix was open after the procedure, and i started itching discharge a few days after, am i at risk of infertility? does the yeast travel up into my uterus and cause scarring or infection?

thanks...worried
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later

Yes, you can use the cream as prescribed by your doctor.
Usually cervix will come to normal state by two weeks after the procedure.
As you used antibiotics for one week after the procedure there is less chance for pelvic inflammatory disease and for infertility.
Yeast infection is common problem seen in many women.
If diagnosed early and treated properly it will not lead to severe complications.
So you start using cream and along with that take nutritious diet. Avoid intercourse till the completion of your treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having extreme itching and burning after surgical abortion. Safe to use vaginal cream? 2 hours later
Thank you...is it possible the yeast could have moved into the uterus?
I had symptoms of yeast infection starting from 1 week after abortion when my cervix was still open.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Possibility is there. But usually endometritis (uterine infection) will present with purulent vaginal discharge, pain abdomen, fever etc. symptoms.
As you are not having any of these except itching which indicates lower genital tract infection, there is less possibility for endometritis.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.