Having extreme fatigue, blurred vision, headaches and dizziness. Cold this be symptoms of hypoglycemia?

I have had questions about possible causes of my current health problems at my age for you all lately. I have been wandering if i could possibly have diabetes. I have symptoms of hypoglycemia most of the time such as trembling, extreme fatigue, some blurred vision, headaches, dizziness, etc. Glucose has been found in my urine along with potassium on two different occasions. Diabetes runs in my family and i have hypertension. With this all said, the lowest reading i have had is 72. The highest has been around 100 and thas when i was pregnant. But even then it appeared overall normal. The symptoms have only been noticible the past few years. I haven't been checked very much so i was wandering if it could be getting missed and if it would contribute to the sudden onset of hypertension and the abnormal heart rythms.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please get properly investigated. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your apprehension as to the possibility of clinical diabetes. It is true that a strong family history predisposes to the disease, but, with proper precautions one can manage a healthy state without the onset of overt disease for a long time. Gestational diabetes may cause diabetes if the glucose levels remain persistently high even after six months of delivery. Your symptoms could be due to altered glucose levels, anemia, mineral deficiency or a hormonal cause; assessment and investigation only can clarify. In your present condition and with your symptoms, it is necessary that you see a physician and get a complete examination. You would need blood counts, fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels, serum creatinine and ALT titres along with lipid profile and a urinalysis. You may also get HbA1c test done to see if you are at risk of diabetes or not. You would also need assessment of cardiac status and thyroid profile. Once you get the clarification from the investigations, if diabetes is established, please see a good diabetician for further management of the condition. There is no necessity to panic even if you land up with the disease as now-a-days the treatment modalities have improved very much and complications are a rarity with a well-managed disorder. Please follow a strict diet schedule, exercise and periodic assessments and drug intake in time. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.