Having excruciating pain in shoulder. Diagnosed with fibromialgia. Looking for proper diagnosis?

Question
help me pleaseI am having excruciating pain in my right shoulder it is been going on for years but really bad the last 2 weeks I am seeing the doctor many times and all they have done is give me cortisone shots which I know is not good for your bones but I am curious as to what I should do. but they diagnose me with fibromialgia but I honestly do not think that is it. please help me relieve this pain
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Hi

Such severe shoulder pain for such long periods can be due to rotator cuff tendinopathy which is accompanied with painful movements and common in young individuals. I would be glad if you let me know you age as that will help considerably. The next most common cause is Cervical spine compression which is accompanied by symptoms like pain, numbness and parasthesia (tingling or other abnormal sensations) of the arm. Let me know if you have any of these symptoms.
Rotator cuff tears, adhesive capsulitis and glenohumeral osteoarthritis are certain other conditions that can cause so much pain.
I would like to know if you have visited an orthopedic and if yes, what were the exam findings. Also, what investigations have been done?
These answers would help to take this discussion forward in a more logical manner.
Thanks

Follow-up: Having excruciating pain in shoulder. Diagnosed with fibromialgia. Looking for proper diagnosis? 47 hours later
I am 21 & have 2 small little girls, they are 2 years and 10 months and i have severe pain and it shoots down my arm too and no I am going to the orthopedic walk in XXXXXXX i was just wondering if i could get some relieve until then

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply.

The radiating pains are mostly due to cervical aetiology causing pain radiation along the nerve distribution. You can use diclofenac sodium 2-3 times daily along with vitamin B12 supplements and orphanadrine to relieve pain and stress on the nerves.

If you can, go for physiotherapy, it’s very helpful.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Follow-up: Having excruciating pain in shoulder. Diagnosed with fibromialgia. Looking for proper diagnosis? 4 hours later
Do you think it is a good idea for me to go to orthopedics tomorrow morning

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 14 hours later

Thanks for the reply

Yes, you may consult your orthopedic for the initial treatment. However as the symptoms described by you is most likely due to cervical etiology it would be better if you can consult a back surgeon or a neurologist rather than orthopedic.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for further help should you need any.
If all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.