Having excessive mucus in nose. What can be done to treat it?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have too much of a boogie in my nose every day. Its really embarassing!
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Excessive nasal mucus may be due to a many reasons such as:
a. dryness in the nose, air conditioning, cold weather, dehydration
b. pollution, allergy (even to food items)
c. nasal and sinus infections, sometimes fungal
d. stress (vasomotor or intrinsic rhinitis)
f. low grade inflammation in the nasal sinuses, turbinate hypertrophy, deviated nasal septum (turbulent airflow through the nose)
g. frequent nose picking due to a feeling of blockage
and so on.

2. What is the colour of the nasal mucus? Do you have mouth breathing or snoring during sleep?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having excessive mucus in nose. What can be done to treat it? 13 hours later
Hi Doctor,

I believe the cause of my nasal mucus is frequent nose picking due to a feeling of blockage and also dryness in the nose.

The color is light yellow or whitish. I have mouth breathing and snoring happens when I put on weight.

What should i do to get rid of this problem?

Thanks.

regards
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Nasal saline sprays and drops help reduce the nasal dryness.

2. Reducing the frequent nasal picking except when the blockage is unbeaable may help.

3. For evaluating the Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), an ENT examination, Sleep Study, Flexible Nasopharyngoscopy and a Sleep MRI may be required.

4. Treating the nasal obstruction and mouth breathing will help reduce the nasal mucus. In addition, ruling out the other possible causes mentioned above is also necessary.

5. This colour of the mucus is more likely to be stasis of mucus due to dryness, obstruction, allergy or mild inflammation.

Regards.