Having erectile dysfunction after taking Roxithromycin for cold. Smoking addiction

I am 28 years age. I have been high on sex drive and have always performed normally. However, I got common cold 6 days back, and have not been able to get erection ever since. I have bee taking Roxithromycin. I generally used to get hard on very easily, but lately it is not coming at all. Do you think I need to get specialist tests done ? I am a smoker as well, and smoke 3 sticks a day.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Common cold and Roxithromycin are unlikely to cause any erectile dysfunction but smoking has been associated with erectile dysfunction. Both smoking and erectile dysfunction have often been associated with plaque build-up in the arteries, called atherosclerosis. The plaque obstructs blood flow through vessels, causing a host of circulatory problems throughout the body, such as erectile dysfunction.

Since the symptoms have suddenly cropped up, stop smoking for some days and see if the symptoms improve. If the erectile dysfunction persists then other causes need to be ruled out which include psychological stress, alcohol, illicit drugs and medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes.

To exactly pinpoint a diagnosis you need to get a complete examination done from a urologist in that case.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.