Having epididymal cyst on testicle. Suffered testicular torsion. How is this detected?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
sir, I am having an epididymal cyst on the left testicle. The report of my scrotal ultrasound has been attached. When I was sleeping tonight a sudden pain was felt on my right(not at the lest) testicle for which I was wake up. After 3/4 minutes the pain disappeared. The pain was like as is striking my testicle by finger after an interval of 10/12 seconds. Sir have I suffered testicular torsion ? I am very much afraid sir. If so then how the testicular torsion will be detected ? Please help me sir. Thank U.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not Testicular Torsion at all.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the Ultrasound Scanning report and facts that you have posted it appears that you have benign cyst of Epididymis on left side .

You had severe pain in Rt testicle while you were sleeping which lasted for few minutes and subsided of its own without any treatment .You are worried about having testicular Torsion.

Testicular torsion is always associated with severe pain in abdomen.vomiting ,swelling of the testicle and all these symptoms are prolonged over a period of 5-6 hours.

Since you had only pain for 3-4 minutes which subsided within few minutes it is unlikely to be due to Testicular torsion.It could be likely due to your testicle might have been pressed between both the thighs during sleep.or it could have undergone intermittent torsion and de-torsion.(Twisting and untwisting)

Please consult qualified general surgeon or Urologist for clinical examination to rule out the same and to allay your anxiety. He will guide you regarding further treatment if required.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Having epididymal cyst on testicle. Suffered testicular torsion. How is this detected? 5 hours later
thank U sir. I consulted one urologist in my locality. He listen my symptoms which I have described you in my previous query. He said that this is not testicular torsion and nothing to worry about. But he didn't examine me physically only he saw my ultrasound report which was done on 28/09/2013 (before the incident which happened to me last night). He told me that no treatment is required for now. But he prescribed me certain medicines which I have written below.

1. Decet BD
2. Levotec 500

Sir these medicines are for which disease ?
Am I having any chance of any testicular torsion or any other serious condition in future and these medicines are to prevent it ???
Is it necessary to take these medicines (I am having asthma so I am presently taking Montek LC tablets every day which I forgotten to say the local urologist).

Please help me sir.
Follow-up: Having epididymal cyst on testicle. Suffered testicular torsion. How is this detected? 3 hours later

1. Decet BD
2. Levotec 500

I have attached his prescription with this query.
if this was intermittent torsion and de-torsion.(Twisting and untwisting) , can this increase the chance of testicular torsion in future ???
Am I allowed to practice martial art or do Physical exercise in future if I opt for it ???
Please help me sir.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may takethese drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

Decet B.D is an anti histaminic drug prescribed in allergic conditions .Since you are asthmatic the concerned Urologist might have prescribed it keeping it in mind.

Livotec 500 is and antibiotic Livofloxacin prescribed as a antibiotic in urinary problems.
You may or may not take Livotec 500.

Considering the report of your scrotal scan there are no chances of you getting testicular torsion at all.

You can certainly practice martial art or do physical exercises as per your capacity.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Having epididymal cyst on testicle. Suffered testicular torsion. How is this detected? 8 minutes later
thank U sir. Sir, the scrotal ultra sound was done before one month of this incident. Do U wish to say that I can't have testicular torsion in my life ??? can the scrotal Ultra sound evaluate whether somebody can or can't have testicular torsion in life ??? Another point is that I have not mentioned to the local urologist that I am suffering from asthma. Can I take both of these medicines with my daily medicine (Montek LC tablet) ??? Please help me sir. Please make my doubts clear. Thank U for your kind help.

Brief Answer:
You may not take medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Thanks for follow up.
Ultrasound scanning done at any time will reveal length of the spermatic cord to be very long and freely mobile testis which is a main predisposing factor to get torsion of the testis.

Since you have normal spermatic cord and testicle reported in scanning you should not think of the torsion of the testis which is rarest of rare possibility in your case..

As regards taking medicine you may not take it

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.