Having enlarged spleen and suffering from hives. What should I do?
User rating for this question
my son has an enlarged spleen because of mono. He is breaking in hives. what do i do?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Mono needs monitoring, hives need work up 4 strept Detailed Answer: hello there! Thank you for asking. i read your query and your concern about the infectious Mono and the results of it that is splenomegaly and Hives/ urticaria which needs management. I want you to know that All your kid needs is a close eye monitoring for His airways as they are predisposed to be compromised because of tonsillar enlargement and if needed steroids would be required to keep them patent. Spleen will come back to normal in 3 weeks after mono is gone. So mean while the only care for spleen you need to reassure is the rest and avoidance of any activity which can result in spleen rupture. Remember splenomegaly in Mono is innocuous and self resolving but spleen rupture is lethal and Ignorance and negligence can easily cause that. Stay in touch with infectious disease specialist, a hematologist for keen eye on the kids blood profile, a neurologist for neurological manifestations, and a gastroenterologist for managing virus induced gallbladder and liver infection. And last but not the least the Hives you mentioned they might be maculopapular rash Which is very common if Infectious mono is accompanied by Group A strept infections of the throat, So have that assessed. If ruled out all the hives would need will be some antihistamines and steroids. good Luck and let your kid rest and digest completely for minimum of 3 weeks. Hope i was of some help. if you have any more queries please feel free to ask, other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of your kid. May the Odds be ever in your favour. Good Luck Dr. S Khan
People also viewed
- Swollen lymph nodes but i feel fine
- What is an enlarged spleen
- What causes an enlarged spleen
- My throut feels like its on fire
- Have enlarged spleen what treatment should be done
- Whats an enlarged spleen mean
- What are the symptoms of enlarged spleen?
- Drugstore blood pressure accuracy
- Cipla pregtest card gives accurate result
- Pulsating feeling in flank
- Legs feel like they are on fire
- Flapping feeling in neck
- Rapid test at seven weeks how accurate
- Seven weeks hiv duo accuracy by experts
- How accurate are velocity pregnancy kits