Having enlarged prostrate, weight loss, fever and pain in the legs. Chest X-ray and TB report normal. Chances of having TB?.

My husband having fever low grade from more than a month and pain in legs that time only ,all test blood urine
Test routine and culture -ve,ESR -84,weight loss 3kg in 1 month,he is 71yrs old,having mildly enlarged prostate,
PSA level 3.5 ,CTScan shows prostate enlargement ,no urinary problem,XRay chest normal,given antibiotics thrice,IgM ,IgA done against TB ,report normal ,so whether he is having TB
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one. As for the fever this is a very general and non-specific symptom but certainly we must work to rule out any underlying inflammatory condition, infection or also the small possibility of some kind of cancer.

If you have the means - i would like to request that you forward me copies of all lab tests he has had performed to date including complete blood counts as well as metabolic panels.

I do not think this is TB. We would see something on chest x-ray to confirm that.

I suspect he has an inflammatory process going on but I would like to review all of the labs before rendering a more definitive diagnosis in this case.

You can send copies of all pertinent labs and studies to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

I look forward to hearing back from you as we work to provide you with an informative response related to this query. If you have other concerns I would be happy to address them as well.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Having enlarged prostrate, weight loss, fever and pain in the legs. Chest X-ray and TB report normal. Chances of having TB?. 11 hours later
His XRay chest is clear,blood test WBC count 0000, ESR -85mmin 1st hr,neutrophil 80%, CTScan clear,only bladder wall hypertrophy,prostate mildly enlarged,blood and urine culture - no growth,antibody against TB inIgM ,IgG not detected,no lymph node enlargment,ultrasound abdomen normal
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

It seems to me that he has some degree of inflammation going on. His white blood cell count is slightly elevated. In this setting I would recommend that you ask your physician to send his blood for a flow cytometry analysis. This special blood test will analyze all of his white blood cells to make sure there are no significant abnormalities there. Also I would recommend sending his blood for a test called plasma cell profile. This will analyze his blood for any abnormal proteins which can indicate a possible reason why he's dealing with these fevers.

I understand that you're dealing with a frustrating situation as we try to get to the bottom of why he is having these symptoms. I am confident that within the next couple of weeks as the test results return his physicians will be able to provide you with some good information and recommendations.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address of them.

Dr. Robert