Having electric shock pain in arm. Have bulging and herniated discs in the neck. How to get relief?

have been having electric shock pain down left arm,it usually goes away when i shake the arm and put pressure on thumb. It also goes away when i take a flexiril.Tonight it seems to be lingering on and is painful.I must tell you that i have bulging and herniated discs in neck and down spine.I have been on disability or many years.I am nort short of breath and BP is normal
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query in detail. It is all due to your bulging and herniated discs in the neck or in short due to Cervical Spondylosis and Prolapsed Inter Vertebral Disc.
When the bulge disc compresses your nerve you feel pain. Along with the best treatment we have to follow certain precautions to reduce the symptoms caused by this disease.
1. Use hard bed, avoid pillow or use thin pillow.
2. Your sitting posture should be straight.
3. Avoid all jerky movements of neck including riding bicycle or motorcycle.
4. You can take anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants drugs orally or can apply gel locally to reduce pain.
5. Wear cervical collar for at-least 8 hours per day.
6. Regularly change the posture of the neck while working or sitting.
7. Do regular exercise and physiotherapy as advised by your physiotherapist.

A decision can be made to perform surgery in future. Surgery is performed in the patients who do not respond to the other medical therapy. The best treatment can planned under the guidance of spine surgery keeping in mind the disability you have. Feel free to consult your doctor for best and better treatment.
Best Wishes and have a pain less and symptoms free spine.
Dr. Kulbir Singh