Having electric current sensation on arms and wrist. MRI showed lesions. Is it MS or stroke?

Nov 2013

A month ago, I thought I was having a stroke as the left side of my face felt numb. I went to urgent care and they said it wasn't a stroke, but, I didn't do further testing. Now I have been experiencing this electric current sensation with the occasional shock in my arm and wrist. It was intense. I had a brain MRI done and they found 3 very small lesions. Docs aren't convinced its MS and want to do more testing. In the meantime, my symptoms have stopped. The electric current sensation has come and gone 2 deprecate times in 3 weeks. I'm wondering if the electric current is more a ms or an orthopedic thing?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Electric shock like sensations are suggestive of neuralgic pain, and not orthopaedic. However, they are not specific for MS. They can occur with ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain) or impingement of nerve in the neck.

Further investigations helpful would be MRI cervical spine and CSF analysis (lumbar puncture) in some cases.

Please get back if you have more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist