Ask a Urologist   »  

Having ecoli infection in the urine. Taking citracal and cobadex. Any other investigation needed?

Hi My Mother is having ecoli infection in the urine with more than 1L / cells as per a culture report done in Chennai where she was there till recently. She is 81 years old. Doctors have given dosage for 2 weeks Martifur and citracal and cobadex. And advised culture test after 3 weeks again. Is there any other investigation which should be done.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 19 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection that affects part of the urinary tract. When it affects the lower urinary tract it is known as a simple cystitis (a bladder infection) and when it affects the upper urinary tract it is known as pyelonephritis (a kidney infection). Symptoms from a lower urinary tract include painful urination and either frequent urination or urge to urinate (or both), while those of pyelonephritis include fever and flank pain in addition to the symptoms of a lower UTI.

In the elderly and the very young, symptoms may be vague or non specific. The main causal agent of both types is Escherichia coli, however other bacteria, viruses or fungi may rarely be the cause.

In straightforward cases, a diagnosis may be made and treatment given based on symptoms alone without further laboratory confirmation. In complicated or questionable cases, it may be useful to confirm the diagnosis via urinalysis and urine culture.

As this is not a recurrent infection for your mother, I think your doctor has done the right thing by doing culture and prescribing antibiotics.

Only if the infection occurs again and again, further investigations in the form of ultrasound of renal area and other are needed.

If you require further information, please let me know.