Having ear problems and shooting pain in ear. Taking zpac and antibiotics. Advise?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have been having ear problems and have an appointment with a specialist on 9/18. Last Saturday I woke up with shooting sharp pains in my ear. The DR called in a zpac, antiobiotics and 10 pain pills. I then saw him Monday and he confirmed I had an infection.
It is now Friday (they are closed today) and it is just as bad. My question is a: should not be a bit better? b: I am in line by asking for some more pain meds or not? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT consultant with close to a decade experience in treating ear, nose and throat problems.

I have understood your problem and concern regarding your ear pain.
You must understand that infection of the ear especially if in the cartilaginous part is very painful and usually takes around a week or two for proper relief.
Nevertheless, five days is a long time and you should definitely have some relief. Since you have already started on the antibiotic I would recommend you not to change the same.

However you may ask for more pain meds and I usually also advice my patients painkiller and antibiotic injection to give better and faster relief.

You can also try hot fomentation on the area and avoid head bath and do not meddle the ears

If you are not feeling better by two more days then you must definitely take a swab and consider a change of antibiotics. Your doctor will know about this.

So take the pain medications as advised by your doctor and wait for a couple of days more.

Hope you get better and hope your doubts are answered and I will be more than happy to answer any more

Dr Sriram Nathan