Having ear pain while swallowing. Feel something in throat and clogged sinus. What is the cause?

I am having left ear pain when I swallow. I woke up and it felt like something is in my throat. No fever, no vertigo, but my lymph node on my left side is swollen. Strangely I always feel clogged in my left sinus, but I'm breathing very clear now. No other throat pain. I looked in my throat and there is no discoloration or redness. I have thick mucus in my throat. I woke up and it hurts worse, but has a strange feeling.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: We need to check your ear and your throat... Detailed Answer: Hi, Left ear pain can either be due to an ear pathology or referred pain from the throat and teeth. Since you have no issues with your tooth, I suspect either a problem with the throat (tonsil) or the ear to be causing the pain. Moreover eustachian tube connecting ear and the throat can be responsible for spread of inflammation across both these organs. That being said, you need not be worried. Most often this condition is not sinister and would improve gradually. You will need antiinflammatory measures to faster the recovery process. I would suggest you to start of the following measures before you visit a doctor. 1. Keep your ear clean and dry. If your ear feels blocked, you might use dewaxing agents. 2. Use over the counter antinflammatory pain killer such as advil twice a day after food for 2-3 days. 3. Use steam inhalation three times a day to prevent sinus congestion that might follow after throat and ear problems. 4. Gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water or diluted betadine solution. I recommend three times a day gargling. 5. Lastly Prilosec OTC once a day is more than handy drug to keep reflux issues at bay (as GERD is a contributing factor). You might try this course of treatment and see if you respond well. Persisting or worsening symptoms will need prescription drugs and therefore indicates visit to your healthcare provider. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards