Having ear pain and bleeding after head injury. What treatment should be done?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My daughter woke up screaming in the middle of the night a week ago for 3 hours straight saying her ear hurt then the next morning I noticed blood coming out of her ear and continued for 3 days straight then lighter fluids after. What is going on with my 3 year old?
My older daughter hit her in the head
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for writing yor query.

Bleeding from ears after head injury can be due to basillar fracture in the skull.
Light coloured fluids can be cerebrospinal fluids.

It is a serious condition and needs urgent medical attention.
She should have a non-contrast CT scan of her head immeditely to see the fracture.

I would suggest that you should take her to the Emergency Department and get her examined clinically by a Neurosurgeon.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any furthur query, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Having ear pain and bleeding after head injury. What treatment should be done? 5 hours later
Could it be possible that she may of ruptured her ear drum? I was doing alittle reading about that last night too. She has not been acting any different since the incident. My other daughter is 2 years older than her.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for your response.

It appears that she has had some trauma to the ear. Your daughter may also complain of hearing difficulty and pain if she has had a ruptured eardrum. However clinical examination by an Otoscope will be helpful to confirm the type of trauma.

If she is not behaving abnormally or there is no episode of vomiting, there are less chances of XXXXXXX brain injury.

I would urge you to visit a qualified ENT surgeon for detailed otoscopic examination. A course of antibiotic is entailed.

In the interim, keep the ear dry and clean. Do not use any ear drops.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please write back.