Having ear pain. Prescribed amoxicillan for ear infection. Should I continue?

General Surgeon
I went to my urgent care center on Friday afternoon with some ear pain. I was perscribed 500mg amoxicillan for an ear infection. It has been almost 4 days now and it seems the pain may be getting worse? I am not sure if i should just continue to amoxicillan or go back? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 53 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Amoxicilline is not the best choice if its about XXXXXXX ear infection. Generally this is a very good antibiotic, however it can not reach bones and other tissues in the XXXXXXX ear (this is called antibiotic penetration). Moreover after 4 days of antibiotic usage, the symptoms should gradually get better. If not, another antibiotic should be prescribed.

I suggest you to visit your doctor (or ER) once again. You should be prescribed with Clindamicine 300 mg 3x1 and Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day (for the pain).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.