Having ear infection. Put hydrogen peroxide in ears and sore to touch. What should be done?

Hi Dr. last night I put hydrogen peroxide in my ears because they were itchy and aching. I woke up this morning and the pain has gotten worse. I've scratched at my ears and found they are too sore for me to mess with without hurting worse. I have been having trouble with my ears for a while now, ever since I got an ear infection back in early April. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean the infection in the ear.
Some ear infections will safely clear up on their own without antibiotics. Often, treating the pain and allowing the body time to heal itself is all that is needed: Apply a warm cloth or warm water bottle to the affected ear. Use over-the-counter pain relief drops for ears, or ask the doctor about prescription ear drops to relieve pain. Take over-the-counter medications for pain or fever, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
I advice you to follow the conservative approach first and if it fails i advice you to see ENT specialist for examination and for exact diagnosis.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.