Having ear infection. Prescribed codien. Feeling tightness in ear, headache and pain in lower neck. Any remedy?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am 50 yr old female i have ear infection for past
Two week my gp precribe me antibiotic
Still no help i was v bad wit my pain on saturdsy
I went emergency still ther the doct precribe me
Codien an paracetamol
Still nw i have tightness in the ear an left one side headach an pain in the lower neck
I have burning sestions nw plz help
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 41 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is important to review the antibiotic, preferably with a culture and an antibiotic sensitivity test on a ear swab. Resistant bacteria may be involved. Kindly get this done along with a direct examination by a local ENT Specialist.

2. Fungal infections should be ruled out. This may be one of the reasons why the antibiotics did not work. Do you have itching in the ears. If you have diabetes, severe otitis externa must be ruled out.

3. You may take an OTC painkiller such as Ibuprofen (Brufen) 400 mg to tide over the immediate pain. You may repeat the dose 3 times a day if the pain is severe. You should not take this medication on an empty stomach. I assume that you do not have any diabetes, liver disease, kidney problems or asthma. Avoid any form of alcohol when taking these painkillers.

4. Where are you experiencing the burning sensations? Have you noticed any decreased hearing in your left ear? Do you have any fever?

5. If you have a cold, get an anti-allergic and decongestant medication prescribed. Ear drops should be used if the infection is severe.

6. I must emphasize that this treatment should now be done under the supervision of an ENT Specialist.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having ear infection. Prescribed codien. Feeling tightness in ear, headache and pain in lower neck. Any remedy? 47 minutes later
•I am getting burning sensations and severe itching in my ear. I get burning sensations in my upper head left side where my ear is hurting.
•The ear pain is really severe and there is swelling as well.
•The medication i am currently taking are two types of antibiotics which is Augmentan and Metronidizole.
•The doctor has prescribed me some Ear drops as well named Gentamicin/hydrocortisone.
•I have got weakness as well.
Can you please suggest something.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The antibiotics are fine. Get a ear swab culture and sensitivity done if the swelling and pain are increasing.

2. Itching and pain may be a sign of Fungal infections.

3. Ask your doctor to add a painkiller or take over the counter Tab Brufen 400 mg. For the burning pain (neuralgia) you may request your doctor to prescribe amitriptyline (Tryptomer) 25 mg twice or thrice a day.

4. Follow the treatment plan mentioned above.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having ear infection. Prescribed codien. Feeling tightness in ear, headache and pain in lower neck. Any remedy? 41 hours later
Hi again
Thank for your answer
.i got ibrofen i am much better.
.but i still got pain an itchin alot in both ears
.isometime here noise in my left ear
.
thank you

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, the pain will reduce with the Brufen. However the infection will require more medication which your doctor will be able to decide.

Itching may be reduced by anti-allergy medication.

The noise (Tinnitus) is not of concern at present. It is more important to get the infection and inflammation treated first. The noise wil need treatment only if it persists after the ear has healed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.