Having ear infection. Is it safe to travel in flight? Any suggestion?

ENT Specialist
hi! am a 25 year old girl who have had ear problems my whole life. today i woke up with an ear infection, and my symptoms( as I know them) it might be in the middle ear, or the actual eardrum... I am on holiday in Malta and are flying out in a few hours so dont have the possibility to see a doctor.. any advice for my flight, or even antibiotics that i might not need a prescription for?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of information provided it appears that you have a disease of middle ear involving your ear drum (long history and infection in ear). Possibly you may be having a perforation of ear drum. It presents with off and on ear discharge, gradually progressive hearing loss and off and on pain in ear. It is called as chronic suppurative otitis media (infection of middle ear for a longer duration).The history of recurrent sinus infections is also suggestive of the diagnosis of sinuses. tonsils or throat.

I would suggest you to start antibiotic ear drops and a antiallergic (cetrixzine or fexofenadine) for the time being. In case you have pain in ear you may consider taking a analgesics and antiinflammatory drug.
Avoid entry of water or oil in the ear canal

This advise is based on the history you have given. This cannot be a replacement of ENT consultation. The treatment will require
1. Treating sinus infection - may require a X XXXXXX for sinuses, medical treatment and minor surgery to improve ventilation of sinuses
2. Treating Ear - may require keeping the ear dry, audiometry and considering surgical intervention (after acute infection is treated)

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if your need more information on this

With warm regards

Ravinder Sharma