Having dull pain on left side around waist. Difficult to laugh and breathe. What could this be?

General Surgeon
Hi, last evening I noticed dull pain on my left side. However, I went to sleep assuming it strained a muscle. The pain has continued today and is moderately sharp, making it painful to laugh or breathe deeply. It's centered upon my left side around my waist, basically in line with my belly button. I'm wondering if I should seek medical assistance or if this is something that will fix itself? I'm a 28 year old Male.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Pain in the abdomen near waist can be due to kidney stone or ureteric stone.
Please get an ultrasound abdomen.
Sometimes,infection of the large intestine on the left side can get infected and cause pain.
If the ultrasound abdomen is normal,then the pain can be due to infection or musculoskeletal pain
Till ultrasound examination,please take Antibiotic Ofloxacin and ornidazole ,Antispasmodic Dicyclomine.
If pain is still present,add skeletal muscle relaxant.
Nothing to worry
Wish you good health