Ask a Dentist   »  

Having dull pain in temple, jaw line and discomfort in the peri-auricular region. Can I have TMJ disorder?

Question
Hi
Can I have TMJ disorder? I have the following symptoms -
1. Dull pain in the temple (only on left side).
2. Dull pain along the jaw line
3. Ear fullness
4. Sound in the ear
5. General discomfort in the peri-auricular region.
All these are on my LEFT SIDE.
Please note I had an ear infection in the past which has now subsided as my ear drum is normal (my ENT says so). I had minor mastoid infection for which I had mastoidectomy done.
Can I be having any TMJ disorder? Attached is my x-ray of TMJ.

XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in TMJ

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Hello and welcome,
I would be glad to answer your query.
First of all, thank you for posting your X-ray reports as well.
According to the dental and medical history presented by you it seems that as the ear infection has just resolved therefore we cannot link it to a rare TMJ (Temporo Mandibular Joint) problem, until the ear infection is clear that there is no recurrence of it.
Also, after examining your X-ray I do not think you have a TMJ disorder, report seems to be normal, but I would like to inform you that sometimes the nerve which supplies TMJ , ear and your mandible(lower jaw) is pressurized by the wisdom tooth(3rd molar). This can be a referred pain.
After looking at the X-ray, it is quite clear that your 3rd molar is very near to the nerve and therefore that may be the cause for these symptoms.
I would advise you to see an oral & maxillary surgeon, he/she will check clinically and rule out the diagnosis, and plan a treatment for you.
I hope I answered your query,
If you have any follow up questions, feel free to post them, I would be happy to answer them.
I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having dull pain in temple, jaw line and discomfort in the peri-auricular region. Can I have TMJ disorder? 15 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your answer.

Do you think my ear infection might have spreaded to the TMJ?
I have some dull buring pain in my temple region of my left head side with muscle spasm there. It has reduced but still not gone fully.

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 7 hours later
Hello
I would like to inform you that ,yes ear infection can spread to TMJ but as you mentioned your ENT diagnosed that the infection has resolved, therefore it seems to be more of a dental problem rather than an ear infection.
Usually TMJ related problems cause ear pain, pain in jaw, head-ache and pain on chewing due to muscle spasm.
Therefore, I would recommend you to visit a dentist, he /she will provide you with a diagnosis and lay out a treatment plan for you.
Do not worry certain muscle exercises, heat therapy and pain killers will treat this condition, I hope I answered your query.
kindly feel free to post your questions here,
I wish you good health,

Follow-up: Having dull pain in temple, jaw line and discomfort in the peri-auricular region. Can I have TMJ disorder? 2 hours later
Hi

You have my x-ray. Does that show any infection in TMJ?

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I reviewed the X-ray report. It does not show any signs of infection for now; I assume that the x-ray reports are quite recent.

I hope I answered your query to your full satisfaction. Let me know if you have other enquiries.
Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.

I wish you good health,