Having dull pain in lower back after swallowing food. Just a weird feeling. What could this be?

I get a dull ache in my lower right side of my back after I swallow food. Doesn't hurt I can barely feel it. Doesn't hurt running or walking. It's just a weird feeling. What could it be?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 16 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

The possibilities could be anything ranging from esophageal/ peptic ulcer to a gall bladder pathology(if the pain was severe). However, you do say that it is just a dull ache. If the symptoms persist, I would advise you to visit a gastroenterologist.

In the meantime... do the following measures and follow a healthy lifestyle....

Drink about 8-10 glasses of water per day.
Keep a food diary and see if the dull ache is present with each meal or is it only when you have a certain food. Make a note of this in your diary.
Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, carbonated beverages and smoking.
Avoid spicy , oily, and fatty food.
Regular exercise 30 minutes a day for five days a week.

If required the doctor might prescribe antacids.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan