Having dull pain in left rib. Advised to take cipro for diverticulitis. Advise?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a dull pain in my left rib. I was lifting a 24' ladder in May and the dull pain has not vanished. My internist said that I had diverticulitis and prescribed 2-10 day cipro. I then eliminated all my good bacteria. I cut the grass on Saturday and the pain is back in my lower rib. Please help
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it seems like to be pinched intercostal nerve

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
most common after such weight lifting we see intercostal muscle pulling or pinched intercostal nerves. Diverticulitis must be confirmed by ct scan and it would cause lower abdominal pain.
other possible causes are pneumonia which should subside on ciprox too. Also it can be pneumothorax buy I suppose you did chest xray to exclude this. Rarely some spleen disorders lead to such pain.
so this is probably neuromuscular issue and it means that you must avoid physical work till pain disappear completely. also ask you doctor for some muscle relaxants and nonsteroid painkillers.
try to rest at least 10 days.if pain persist you need more extensive work up. Wish you good health. Regards. feel free to ask
Follow-up: Having dull pain in left rib. Advised to take cipro for diverticulitis. Advise? 23 hours later
Thanks Doc, I have not been to the doctor! As far as diverticulitis, the internist diagnosed it over the telephone. I have not had a chest x-ray. I will rest and see if the pain disappears. It was really painful to sleep on the left side. Now a little uncomfortable. I put some arnicare on last night for pain relief. Will continue with natural remedies if still an issue will see my Doctor. Thanks for your help. Yvonne
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes.wait for several more is important that there are no breathing difficulties. I don't think that it is diverticulitis but if pain persists you should just do chest and abdominal xray to rule some things out. it doesn't seem to be anything significant at this point. I am sure you will feel better soon.