Having dryness and itching in scrotum area. Using anti-itch cream after shower. What is causing this?

I am a 37-year-old male. I am 6'0 170lbs. I am active and healthy. I have two questions, both of them concerning embarrassing situations. One, despite the fact that I shower every day and use an anti-itch cream, I have dryness and itching in the area right behind my scrotum continuing up between my buttocks. I do try to be conservative with towels, so I only use one towel the entire week. Could that be what is causing that? Second question has to do with my anal area. I tend to have very large bowel movements that are long, thick log-like feces. I have had a problem with my anus having fissures and I have tried various things to limit my anal opening being stretched or torn while deficating or wiping, but sometimes, especially in the shower while I am cleaning my anus, it stings to badly that I have trouble just running water over the area. What can I do that doesn't require surgery?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are having fungal disease with fissure in ano.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to H C M.

You have two questions.

First is related to itching in groin and scrotal area extending to intergluteal area.
The groin area has tendency to develop fungal infections like dermatophytes is and candidal infection. Thorough clinical examination may be done by dermatologist to find out exact disease. I think you may be having fungal disease. Treatment with anti fungal tablets like ketoconazole and cream like clotrimazole cream would be considered. And DM,HIV and other immunocompromised conditions should be ruled out after various blood tests.

The second question is related with disease of anal area.
I think you woud be having fissure in ano. You have constipation ,which may exacerbate the condition.there may be severe pain due to fissure in ano.
You should consult surgeon for this condition.
Apply dobesil cream or mild steroid with antibiotics and xylocain.
Pain killer with antibiotics may be taken.
Sitz bath in dettol water containg tub may considered,which may improve both the diseases.
Take dobesil cap if there is piles.
Anal dilation may be done by surgeon to prevent relapse of anal fissure.

You may feel better after following my advice,but take treatment under supervision of dermatologist and surgeon.

I hope you got my answered.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Having dryness and itching in scrotum area. Using anti-itch cream after shower. What is causing this? 1 hour later
I have asked my primary care physician to look and he said he doesn't see any major problems and prescribed me various antifungal and anti itch creams. I used them, but the problem still lingers somewhat. Do you think it could be the hair I have in the area that is exacerbating the problem? Should I try shaving my perineum and anal areas? And should I change my towel several times a week instead of just using one towel for 7 days?

Also, I am not constipated. My bowel movements come out very normally without me pushing. I almost always pass my bowel movements very quickly without any pain except for the pressure of the big bowel movement on my anus, but definitely not pain. My bowel movements are relatively soft, but come out in one long, thick piece, so it isn't constipation. My doctor never said I have fissures, I am assuming because of the stinging sensation that I get every once in awhile.

I have recently been checked for HIV and STDs and I am completely negative. I've also had a thorough medical exam that has ruled out most other possibilities. What I didn't tell my physician out of embarrassment is that I have engaged in anal intercourse and I have been fingered during sex which may have cause trauma to my anus and rectum.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fingering in anus might produce trauma.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back,

Your poor perineal and groin hygiene may be responsible for itching. You have to change bath towel daily.and keep the area dry before wearing the clothes after bath. Keep the hairs short in perineal area. You can shave also.

You are engaged in anal intercourse which is very XXXXXXX from health point of view. You immediately stop such activity. You are right, the discomfort in anal area may be due to trauma by fingering.

Now I hope you got satisfactory answer. Ok

With best wishes.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Having dryness and itching in scrotum area. Using anti-itch cream after shower. What is causing this? 2 hours later
I have never been told fingering and anal intercourse are XXXXXXX I think your views are a bit close-minded in that area, but then again, I do not engage in those activities often.

When you say to keep the hairs short in my groin and perianal area short how do I go about doing this? I have never removed hair from my anal area so I'm not sure how i would even reach back there to do it safely. Isn't it normal for men to have hair back in that region of their body? I always dry my body completely before dressing and I rarely smell bad down there.

Do you, yourself shave that area? If so, what method do you use that you kind best to perform?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Shaving with triple blade can be easily done.

Detailed Answer:

I feel that you are getting my answer.

You can shave the perineal and perianal hairs very easily with Gillette triple blade.

Gradually you can do that.

Most of the people do that who have perianal hairs.

Now you may close the discussion.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD