Having dry skin and using Aquacare. Does it have any side effect?

Dec 2013

I live in NZ & have a VERY dry skin - born with it - I use a lot of Aquacare/HP but it only seems to come in small tubes. Because I use it daily I soon go through the tubes. Is it available in a larger container which in the long run would be less expensive?
Using this cream does not have any affect on my health - only on my skin.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use Emollients with Aquacare

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Healthcare magic.

After reading your query I can get that you have dry skin problem since childhood. Aquacare contains urea in it which helps in protecting moisture in the skin.

AS I can get that the tubes get exhausted quite soon and you want to buy large container of the same. I am sorry to say but it is available in 100 gm packs only and larger containers are not available.

I can help you in reducing the amount of the aquacare so that it would not get exhausted sooner.

There is a fundamental in moisturization of the skin that we use a "keratolytic" with an "emollient".

To explain you simply "keratolytics" increases moisture in the skin by dissolving and softening the most superficial layer of skin. This process helps the skin keep to preserve more water in. Urea is keratolytic substance. Other than this Lactic acid is also used for the same.

Emollients or better known as moisturizers work by forming an oily layer on the top of the skin that traps water in the skin. SO we use Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients.

So you probably got that both can be used in reducing the dryness of skin. The most ideal way is to use these two things alternatively. You are already using urea(aquacare) as keratolytic so you can combine Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients. Therefore both can be used alternatively. Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils are quite cheaper and are available over the counter easily.

I guide to my patients to apply any of these just after bathing when the skin is still draping. It preserves the natural water in the body. Secondly when you apply any of the creams later then also you should first give compressions of mildly warm water of can take a shower and then apply it.

Do not use any strong soap or detergents over skin. Wear cotton clothes and avoid synthetic or swollen garments in direct contact of skin.

I hope these informations will help you. Tell me if you have any further queries.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia