Having dry mouth in morning, feels tongue swollen and phelgm in throat. Help?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am a 75yr old female, usually healthy but lately I have developed a very dry mouth especially first thing in the morning.eases off as the day goes on however along with this my tongue feels swollen and at times I have difficulty talking. Yes feels like a little bit of phelgm in my throat. I been to several doctors who all subscribe flixonase nose drops but I feel they do not help so have stopped taking them.. Can you help?
thank you
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Do you have Diabetes? If you do not know then get your blood sugar checked.

If you use nasal steroid spray like Flixonase then you need to take normal saline nasal sprays, you can start taking that. Even if you are not taking Flixonase spray you can continue using normal saline nasal sprays. This will keep your nasal skin healthy. But I suggest you to consult ENT specialist for continuation of flixonase spray.

If you take antihistaminic for nasal disease like cetrizine then stop taking it for some time.
Dry mouth can be because of mouth breathing in night because of nasal blockage, or because of snoring.
In morning you have your mouth dry and swollen --one of the reasons for this can be reflux / acidity/heart burn-- if you have it then you need to take antacid medicines.
Take these precautions---
     Keep head end of bed elevated.
     Avoid alcohol, Smoking
     Do brisk walking daily
     Go for walk after dinner
     Avoid spicy food     
     Avoid late night coffee
     Daily take plenty of water frequently, also take citrus fruits.

Get well soon.
Please reply if you have any doubt.
Follow-up: Having dry mouth in morning, feels tongue swollen and phelgm in throat. Help? 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply. One more question if you can help: as a result of this condition I have a very dirty tongue can you advise how to clean....yes I do the tongue scraping thing and do drink lots of water so think there is possibly another option out there. Can you advise?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later

Yes, I am be happy to answer any of your questions.

I always advice my patients not to scrape tongue.
The cells / layer of skin over tongue are for protection from hot and spicy food. These cells automatically shed continuously and we need not clean it; it's a natural way of keeping our tongue clean.
Cleaning it can lead to trauma. Besides that tongue scraping could be one of the reason for dryness and feeling of swollen tongue.

You can use gargles like Betadine / Hexidene in diluted form (mix them with water in glass or cup and then use them). Brush your teeth twice a day.

Avoid scrapping your tongue.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.