Having dry eyes, dry mouth and a swollen lymph node on neck. Suggest the treatment?

I have dry eyes and dry mouth and a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, Can you tell me what the possible diagnosis could be?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

It seems like you may be having some kind of viral / bacterial infection which creates a swollen lymphnode in neck. Lymph glands, play a vital role in your body's ability to fight off viruses, bacteria and other causes of illnesses. This is known as lymphadenitis.

1) Now you may take over the counted pain relievers and do warm compresses to get it fixed.

2) In case of fever above (100 F), I would recommend you to visit near by physician to have a prescription for antibiotics.

Dry mouth and dry eyes, normally occurs due to any of two reason,

1) Side effect from,anticholinergic medication. (For which I need to have list of medication which you take so that I can walk you through.)

2) Allergies can cause such symptoms too. In case of dry eyes you will need to lubricate the eyes with over the counter "systane" or "refresh", and for the dry mouth I need to see the list of drugs most probably one of the drug might be causing it.

Please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns, and please send me the list of medication so that I can have a look.

Follow-up: Having dry eyes, dry mouth and a swollen lymph node on neck. Suggest the treatment? 17 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you for your reply as I was concerned that it might be cancer. For your question regarding my dry mouth I am not currently on any medications. I take only vitamins such as multi, vitamin D, fish oil, and coq10. I do however take a small 5 hour energy drink which I have just stopped. I do suffer from allergies, nasal but I use only a saline nose spray. I also suffer from reflux and take tums on occasion when I get heartburn and when my reflux acts up I take a generic for nexium.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 40 minutes later

Welcome back, now it does not seems anything like cancer.

Their is an auto immune disorder known as "Sjögren's syndrome" is most likely cause based on the symptoms of dry eyes and dry mouth. As you said that you do not take any drugs that rules out suspicion of it caused by drugs, more over you say you do have allergy. Now if would be allergy, over the counter medication would have helped to fix the problem. More over you do take all supplements like vit-d, fish oil still you are facing the same problems. That leaves auto immune disorder as likely diagnosis .

Other symptoms for this autoimmune diseases skin dryness, nose dryness , and vaginal dryness.

I will recommend to have a checkup for the "Sjögren's syndrome "

Please let me know if you need more information regarding the Sjögren's syndrome, or any other concerns.

Thanks again.

Follow-up: Having dry eyes, dry mouth and a swollen lymph node on neck. Suggest the treatment? 9 minutes later
If it is Sjögren's syndrome is there a way to treat it?
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 31 minutes later

Welcome back, Yes their are multiple treatment that will be helpful in treating the Sjögren's syndrome.

Even though its treatable, it will not be 100% cured, its like diabetes you have to live with it, and keep treating it.

Following are examples of drugs used for addressing specific problems.

1) cyclosporine (Restasis) is available by prescription to help treat chronic dry eye by suppressing the inflammation that disrupts tear secretion.
2)cevimeline (Evoxac) and pilocarpine help to stimulate salivary flow, helping ease the dry mouth feeling.

Hope it helps to clarify few details about autoimmune diseases.

Thanks again.