Having dry cough and chest pain. ECG, Echo and TMT normal. What cure should be done?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I am XXXXXX from Chennai. I had chest pain (left) 2 weeks back and got admitted to a private hospital here. We did all the check-ups such as ECG, Echo and TMT but everything is normal. Therefore doctor concluded it is a non-cardiac pain and i was again adviced to take endoscopy to rule out the problems in food pipe and that report also seems to be normal now. Apart from chest pain, i have other symptom of dry cough. Every night i go to bed it get accumulated. The cough starts with a slight distrurbance in the throat and it wakes me up in mid-night. Sometimes i have the same in the day time and there will be pain in the lower part of both chest. My doctor advised to take PFT today but it was unsuccessful as i couldn't blow the air (i holded it for less than 2 mins as per the technician told me). I am sure it was not because of misunderstanding of the instruction but i cannot hold it.
For your information, i am a non-smoker and i never had a complaint of ashtma or allergy before. Please advice. I am not attaching any reports as they are reported as normal.

What could be the further actions that i need to take or to follow.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having chest pain and dry cough since 2 weeks.

2. Since you had problem with the pft efforts, You need to get it evaluated further.

3. Investigations that will be required are chest xray pa view and CT thorax. Also blood investigations- ESR, Peripheral smear, ABG analysis and IgE are required.

4. Please get yourself evaluated with a pulmonologist in detail.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Having dry cough and chest pain. ECG, Echo and TMT normal. What cure should be done? 4 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.

I will get evaluated further as you advised. But the cough was there for very long time not just 2 weeks before and it was so severe with the chest pain so i have to visit the doctor. Please let me know
Chest X-Ray is normal - this is for your information. Thx.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later

Thanks for the follow up info.

1. You need to get evaluated with a Pulmonologist as you have planned.

2. Meanwhile I will also suggest that you start an antacid medication like Tb. PAN-D in the morning (empty stomach).

3. If possible, you can let me know your evaluation results later.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist