Having dry and itchy skin on genital. Noticed whitish formation and peeling skin. Any treatment?

Question
The skin around my genital area has become dry with a whitish formation on the dry portion, its itchy and it peels off when I do itch. Why is it happening and what should be my next course of action?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 30 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

The most common cause of dry and itchy skin around vagina is fungal infection.

While taking bath, you should neither apply soap on this area, nor rub it to clean.

Ideally, you should get it examined by a Skin & VD specialist/Gynecologist, and take treatment as per prescription.

Meanwhile you can apply Surfaz-SN/Quadriderm ointment locally twice daily.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma

Follow-up: Having dry and itchy skin on genital. Noticed whitish formation and peeling skin. Any treatment? 5 minutes later
Sir am a "male", and its the skin that's peeling, would Surfaz-SN/Quadriderm will still be a solution to this?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 20 minutes later

Welcome again,

Sorry, for misunderstanding about sex.

In male also, the most common cause of dry and itchy skin around genital area is fungal infection.

Thus you can apply Surfaz-SN/Quadriderm ointment after morning bath and before going to bed. You can take one Tablet of Fluconazole-150 also.

Please keep the portion dry, wear loose cotton underwear only.

If there is no improvement within a week, please consult a Dermatologist.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma