Having drinks with splenda. Does this affect nerve?

My wife is concerned with the amount, 1/2 gallon per day for the last three years, of Light Hawaiian Punch (10 calories per 8oz serving) I drink a day because of the amount of Splenda and Red 40 contained in the drink. Water makes me gag because of the medications I take daily. Is her concern valid and why?
She thinks my insides are permanently dyed red and that I am a ticking Splenda timebomb. Thank you.

Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your medical history and concern

I understood that you have peripheral neuropathy

Though her concerns are not fully medically correct she is right in the sense that your drinks can adversely affect your nerves. This is especially in a background history of peripheral neuropathy. The feelings that "water makes me gag" could be related to lower cranial nerve involvement. In neurological problem, the initial gag is always with water.

Please visit a local neurologist and get examined. You may need nerve conduction test and he will guide you accordingly.

Hope this clarifies your query

Let me know if you have any concern
Best wishes

Follow-up: Having drinks with splenda. Does this affect nerve? 2 hours later
You report that "drinks can adversely affect your nerves". How and why? What is in my drinks that concerns you and why? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 59 minutes later
Preservatives in this type of drinks may have bad effect with nerves. Please check with your local brand about the exact content. As far as peripheral neuropathy is concerned, you have to be careful about these types drink.

Do not worry, get examined by a neurologist and resolve these issues.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Having drinks with splenda. Does this affect nerve? 16 minutes later
So, then, you are not concerned about the Splenda or the food color no. 40?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 35 minutes later
Please check with local brand people regarding the exact amount of preservative.

Best wishes