Having dizzy episodes. Has elevated liver enzymes and high iron levels in blood. Any thoughts?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My brother has been having dizzy episodes. He has elevated liver enzymes, and high iron levels in his blood.
Any thoughts on the cause?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The commonest cause of raised liver enzymes in his age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.
Frequent dizzy spells are not likely to be related to raised liver enzymes or an increased iron levels.
There are many causes for dizziness.
Common ones are high blood pressure, low blood pressure, cervical spondylitis and low blood sugar, use of sedatives, tranquilizers and antidepressants.

Uncommon reasons can be due to brain reasons or arrhythmias and cardiomyopathies.

My purpose of telling you the causes is so that you don't take your brother's symptoms lightly and consult his doctor and get him physically examined along with various investigations.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.