Having dizziness, chest pain and throat tightness. Do I have anxiety or psychosomatic disorder?

Im not sure if it is a psychologist I am looking for but I need to talk to someone.

Since last september I have been having pains or sensation in my chest and I get dizzy occasionally or worry about my breathing. I kept thinking there was issues with my heart. I went to a cardiologist and got loads of tests done and he was happy that I went on about my life not holding back on exercise.

I am recovering reasonably well over the last 2 months but for the occasional worry. I think there is a chance this could be all psychosomatic or possibly anxiety. When I go to exercise I feel like something could happen or that I shouldnt push myself and get a bit dizzy or tight in the chest or my throat would get tight. I would really like some help on how to get over this and believe in my doctors diagnosis, if that is what I should do?

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 6 hours later
I understand your concern with the symptoms. As you mentioned your symptoms fit into an anxiety disorder or a psychosomatic disorder like somatisation disorder with anxiety symptoms. I also realise you have distorted negative cognitions/thinking particularly when you want to exercise. I would suggest you start meditation/yoga along with breathing relaxation exercises. Avoid tea/coffee/carbonated beverages. You might benefit from cognitive behavioural therapy by a clinical psychologist to improve your confidence. As a last resort, if required anti-anxiety medication can be started after a psychiatric evaluation. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar