Having dizziness and Aphasia. Family history of lung cancer. Help?

my husband has a positive XXXXXXX and a positive anti-dna (ds) and no symptoms of Lupus he just got over pneumonia and has some neurological issues going on like Aphasia and alot of dizziness that wakes him up in the middle of sleeping which is really bizarre it is very scary and he has already had a MRI and 3 CT-Scans but he has what looks like a groin hernia that i am afraid is lymphoma because of everything going on it is the one thing that everything points to but the Ultrasound on the hernia confirms no enlarged lymph nodes but I know it could be a misdiagnosis he is 62 yrs. old and has lung cancer in his whole family they have all died and so I am on the look out he has sub-centimeter spots on the lungs and in the brain but they said they are too small to worry about now just watch them mean while his dizziness is constant and we can't wait we need to do something about finding out what is going on before it is too late! Can you help?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
XXXXXXX and dsDNA are specific for lupus.

However, they may be positive in malignancy.

However, as of now we do not have any concrete evidence for malignancy.

I would suggest further tests in the form of complement levels, ENA, and a PET scan for foci of increased inflammation.

Also may be further tests for neurological problem in the form of CSF analysis are required.

Hope this helps you.
Follow-up: Having dizziness and Aphasia. Family history of lung cancer. Help? 3 days later
what is ENA and complement levels? also CSF analysis? Thank you for your response?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 5 hours later

1. ENA is extractable nuclear antigens which are components of XXXXXXX It is analyzed by line immune assay.

2. Complements are proteins in the body which are consumed in lupus, so we check the levels of c3 and c4. They may be low if the condition is indeed lupus.

3. CSF analysis is analysis of the fluid which lines the brain and it's membranes. Testing it can help in deciphering many diseases of the central nervous system.

Hope this is clear. I will be glad to clarify if you have any more doubts.

Follow-up: Having dizziness and Aphasia. Family history of lung cancer. Help? 24 hours later
Thank you for your response we saw a Rheumatologist yesterday and she found no symptoms of any Lupus or any blood tests so we will see what we come up with but thank you for your opinion I always appreciate a second opinion.
You are most welcome.
I hope we reach a proper diagnosis.