Having discomfort on left side of the chest. Remedy?

Why do I have discomfort on my left side of chest sometimes or when I move a certain way?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Pain on moving can be due to muscular pain. Warm compresses and topical muscle relaxants should help.

It can also be due to gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) that can cause such chest pain and mimics a heart condition. Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods, preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.

I would suggest you to get a cardiac check up done first of all to rule out any cardiac cause as any chest pain is cardiac in origin unless proven otherwise. You need to get blood tests (like cardiac markers), ECG and stress ECHO done to rule out any cardiac cause of this tightness.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.