Having discomfort in neck, pulsing sensation. Tested negative for thyroid. What test should be done next?

Oncologist, Surgical
I am a female aged 63. Every so often I have discomfort on the left side of my neck. It is painful when I move from side to side. I can put my finger on the area and feel the pain through my pulse in my neck. I have had blood tests in the past checking for thyroid but all have come up negative. I my have been told that the my neck appears thick and should have it checked, but the blood tests prove otherwise. Is there another test I can undertake.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Thyroid swellings can sometimes manifest with normal thyroid functions as well, therefore there is no harm in getting your neck evaluated by a surgeon. To be very sure whether you are suffering from a thyroid disorder or not, you can get an ultrasound of the neck, which will definitively tell you about your thyroid status. It will also assess the vessels in your neck, which can sometimes be affected in patients with hypertension.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.