Having discomfort in eye and found brown spots on eyeball. How to cure this?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
Dear Doctor,

I woke up this morning with discomfort on my left eye. And I found there is a light brown, orange spot on my left eyeball.

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

I would like to know some more details on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

1. Is there any history of injury to your eye?
2. Type of job you are doing-whether it involves lifting of heavy weights?
3. Any history of increased blood pressure?
4. Any history of medicine intake-especially blood thinners?
5. Any history of severe cough or sneezing recently?

After reading your post and seeing the image of your eye, it seems that you have suffered from subconjunctival haemorrhage.

Subconjunctival haemorrhage occurs due to rupture of small blood vessels present below the conjunctiva.
Common causes includes trauma, increased pressure in the eye, some medicines, etc.

Subconjunctival haemorrhage is a self limiting condition. It heals in few weeks time.
It doesn’t need any active medication, unless infected.

Do provide the information asked above, I shall be then able to arrive at more possible diagnosis.

Meanwhile do use eye drops containing artificial tears 2-3 times a day. This provides some relief and prevents worsening.

Follow-up: Having discomfort in eye and found brown spots on eyeball. How to cure this? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for the quick reply.
To answer your questions.
1. Is there any history of injury to your eye? (No, no history of injury)

2. Type of job you are doing-whether it involves lifting of heavy weights? (I am a educator, professor. And I don't do much heavy lifting. However, recently I have started working out at the gym with heavier weight and machine. Is the heavy weight workout same as lifting heavy weight?)

3. Any history of increased blood pressure? (no history of increased blood pressure)

4. Any history of medicine intake-especially blood thinners? (no history of medicine on blood thinners)

5. Any history of severe cough or sneezing recently? (Lately, I did sneeze more often to due the spring allergy season due to flower pollen).

Lately, I have been working on computer online and watching late night movie on Netflix with lights off...will this also increase the pressure of my eyes?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 25 minutes later

Thanks for providing the information.

After reading your post, the cause of subconjunctival hemmorhage in your case seems to be due to increase in pressure and result in oozing out of blood from small blood vessels. This can be as a result of lifting heavy weights in gym or during sneezing.

You should also avoid watching television and computers for longer duration as it strains the eyes.

I hope this answers your query.