Having discomfort in buttock in the morning. Is this due to rough edges on pelvis, muscular pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have much discomfort deep within my buttocks when I get out of bed in the morning. After I have been walking around for awhile it seems to subside. In the evening I often get a "catch in my hip" and have extreme pain for just a second or two. I have been told that possibly I have "rough edges" on my pelvis and this is causing muscular pain. Is this a possiblity?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The deep discomfort within the buttocks is likely to be related to coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.
The feeling of catch in the hip is likely to be related to a pinched nerve. A MRI scan of the lumbosacral spine will help in proper diagnosis. The symptoms that you have described are not likely to be due to any rough edges in the pelvis.
Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:
1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, do not sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2) Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4) Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.
You may need to get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician in case the symptoms are persistent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having discomfort in buttock in the morning. Is this due to rough edges on pelvis, muscular pain? 2 hours later
Thank you for your quick reply. The discomfort is not within my tailbone region but more deep within the fleshy muscles of my buttocks (both right and left). I have had massage work on my piriformis areas and do stretches for this. Sitting does not seem to bring on the discomfort but turning in bed is quite uncomfortable and also walking after being in a prone position. I have been on a regiment of ibuprofen which seems to bring little relief. I have had an MRI on my lower back with findings of degenerative anterolisthesis with facet arthropathy and disc bulges at L3-4 and L4-5. Triangular to mild trefoil canal at both. There is an outer right renal cortex fluid like appearance partially show at about 1.8 diameter. The appearance is not inconsistent with cyst.
Could any of these findings give cause for the on going discomfort I live with?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The discomfort that you have is likely to be due to degenerative disc bulges at the levels of L3-L4 and L4-L5.
If ibuprofen is not providing you the desired relief then it is best to start with a muscle relaxant orally and do regular back strengthening exercises under the guidance of your physical therapist.
Regular hot fomentation and having a hot shower will also help in relieving the muscle spasm.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.