Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have had this discoloration between my breasts for a while. I remember when i was younger i took a bath and the skin between them was kindof soft and i rubbed it and some rolled off. Ever since its this splotchy light yellow color and if the skin there is moist it will rub off again, and when its dry its kindof flakey. How do i get rid of this? Ive tried lotions and oils and keeping it dry and exfoliation.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

The pigmentation you are describing can be due to tinea versicolor, tinea cruris, post inflammatory pigmentation.

Also I would like to know
a)Does it itch?
b)Is it reddish?
c)Do you wear tight bras?
d)Do you have similar problem anywhere else on body?

Can you upload good quality photographs of the skin discoloration.
Photos can help a great way in predicting the condition.
You can upload them by using feature on right hand side of this box.

Answer the above questions and I would be able to suggest you in better way.
Awaiting your response

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this? 5 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX
OK to answer your questions.
a. It does not usually itch but I can remember it itching in the past (usually after an extended period of exercise while wearing a sports bra and being sweaty)
b. It is a bit reddish sometimes, id describe it as a yellowish color with red irritation. You hopefully will see if i can upload the photo.
c. My bras fit properly, I had them fitted.
d. I have never had a problem like this anywhere else.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for details but I still cant see the photos.

There two possibilities in your case.One can be kind of fungal infection and other friction related contact dermatitis.

Without visual aid it is difficult to exactly predict the condition.

You can apply cool soothing lotion like calamine while it is inflamed red.

Try to keep area dry most of the times.

You can apply Hydrocortisone cream for 4-5 days .It is a mild steroid which will suppress the inflammation and provide relief.

Please upload photos for more specific advise.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan.

Follow-up: Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this? 2 days later
Ive uploaded the photo

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXX

Ive gone through photo uploaded by you .

After going through photo it appears to be post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

You can apply aloe vera lotion .It is available as over the counter preparation.

Also you can apply hydrocortisone cream over the area for 2-3 weeks.

The pigmentation will fade away slowly over weeks.

Avoid friction at the site . Try to use loose Bra and avoid friction at the site.

Hope this helps.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this? 20 minutes later
I have 1% clotrimazole lotion on hand already but i have never used it. WOuld this work or should i get the hydrocotisone?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again ,

You can apply 1% clotrimazole lotion twice daily for 7 days.
If there is no benefit after 7 days you can apply hydrocortisone for 2-3 weeks.

Pigmentation will subside slowly and may take2- 3 weeks to fade away.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this? 20 hours later
Hi, so i decided to go ahead and buy hydrocortisone because I couldnt find my clotrimazole lotion. I got 1% hydrocortisone cortopin cream, but in the leaflet it says "do not use if you have a bacterial infection, viral infection, or fungal infection (e.g. tinea, ringworm or thrush) of the skin" I know you had mentioned tinea before, so should i still go ahead and use this?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

First you apply 1% clotrimazole lotion twice daily for 7 days.

After 7 days when fungal infection clears you can apply hydrocortisone for 2-3 weeks.

You can use hydrocortisone cream as it is a mild steroid and will reduce inflammation and itching.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this? 1 hour later
Im confused cause you changed what i should do. You said before to use the clotrimazole and if it didnt work then get hydrocortisone.. but i dont have clotrimazole anymore.. do i need to go get it even though i already went out and bought hydrocortisone?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 hours later
Hi again ,

As I said before First you apply 1% clotrimazole lotion twice daily for 7 days.

You need to buy clotrimazole and apply it first.

Hope Ive made myself clear.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Having discoloration between breasts. Looks dry and flaky. How to get rid of this? 2 hours later
NO I'm still confused! Listen... IM THE ONE WHO FIRST MENTIONED THE CLORTRIMAZOLE LOTION. NOT YOU.

First you said
"You can apply aloe vera lotion .It is available as over the counter preparation.
Also you can apply hydrocortisone cream over the area for 2-3 weeks XXXXXXX

Then I said..
"I have 1% clotrimazole lotion on hand already but i have never used it. WOuld this work or should i get the hydrocotisone?"

Then you said:
"You can apply 1% clotrimazole lotion twice daily for 7 days.
If there is no benefit after 7 days you can apply hydrocortisone for 2-3 weeks XXXXXXX

Then I realized I don't actually have clotrimazole on hand, so since you said i could just "try" the clotrimazole and see if it works, the preffered treatment must be hydrocortisone. So I bought hydrocortisone, wanting to put it on for 2-3 weeks like you said... so i check in to make sure, and now youve decided that this clotrimazole lotion is totally necessary first and i have to buy another thing??? If thats the case then if I listened to you before and just applied the hydrocortisone, something bad could have happened??

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi again,

Its better if you apply clotrimazole first and then hydrocortisone later.

Clotrimazole should be applied first to eliminate low grade fungal infection which is present is this area.After treating it you can apply hydrocortisone cream which is mild steroid to treat pigmentation and inflammation.

Hydrocortisone can directly be applied but it is better if you apply it after treating with clotrimazole.Even if you had applied hydrocortisone directly nothing bad would have happened as it is very mild steroid.

Hope Ive made myself clear.