Having difficulty in starting a task. Procrastinate and having lot of sleep. Had back pain. What is the cause for it?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have a problem of difficulty to start a task like studying, and it is affecting my student life badly. I procrastinate and having the need to have a lot of sleep, at first I think this is just a bad habit, but I discover this might be a medical concern, because I am not like this before. I'm not sure if my back pain that last few weeks have anything to do with this, the back pain is not because of trauma. Thanks
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 36 minutes later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your available history.

Back pain may be a symptom of stress and anxiety but other causes like orthopedic causes or posture problems need to be ruled out.

It seems that you are in stress and possibly depression as you have symptoms like lack of concentration and sleep disturbances . You should consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.
Doctor may advise you to rule out physical causes like thyroid dysfunction or depressant drugs like fluoxetine, desvenlafaxin etc
2) Psychotherapy and counselling.

Meanwhile, You may do stress management, relaxation exercise like yoga, meditation, breathing exercise etc.

I hope i have addressed your concern.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Having difficulty in starting a task. Procrastinate and having lot of sleep. Had back pain. What is the cause for it? 22 minutes later
Could depression be a possible diagnosis? I am pretty sure I am not depressed, stressed or having any emotional disturbances.

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 8 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me .

Many times depression or stress may represent like Somatic symptoms such as body pain, lack of concentration disturbed sleep pattern etc.

There are physical causes like thyroid dysfunction or consult psychiatrist for the same.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.